Rebecca Douglas Photography offers you a style of Wedding and Portrait photography that is spontaneous and true-to-you, not overly trendy.
It's about authenticity and real expressions.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The true meaning of a "Time Honored Portrait".

My friend Jennifer and I have talked a lot about "what is a portrait" and the type of portraiture I offer to my clients and when she asked me yesterday if I would create an Heirloom Portrait of her and her daughter, I was thrilled. But her request sparked yet more thoughts about what I "do".

I've been really struggling with the right way to explain the type of portraiture that I strive for on a daily basis. As a visual artist, I expect that my work will be enough explanation. But I am constantly reminded that it is not.
While reading one of my favorite photography trade magazines tonight, I came across an article about rediscovering the lost art of portrait photography. This article seemed to have put into words what I have been trying to do for so long. I'm risking plagiarism here, but I feel this is so important to everyone to hear.

"...if you look at a portrait, and there isn’t that “something more” then the naysayers are right, it’s just a manufactured scene with contrived lighting…but if you ever find yourself staring into the character of a given photograph, rooting out a certain mystique in the shapes that envelop the scene, astounded by the eloquence and multidimensionality of the subject looking back at you, then most likely you are staring into a portrait…" written by Tara Propper

It is so important in this digital age to be reminded that the Art of Portraiture is something to be valued and treasured. Great photographers are highly trained in both technical aspects of creating a portrait as well as posses a natural instinct for when to capture the essence of the subject.
We must not get so caught up in "digital files and snapshots" that we lose sight of our visual legacy.