Rebecca Douglas Photography offers you a style of Wedding and Portrait photography that is spontaneous and true-to-you, not overly trendy.
It's about authenticity and real expressions.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Little Books, Big Impact

I love designing books for all occasions. I'm not a "scrapbooker", but I do love to take a series of images, whether it's from a year's worth of baby portrait sessions from my 1st-Year-Series, a collection of essay-style images from a family session, or something I pull from my own life and put together a classic, simple hard-bound book that tells a story. I find them so much more interesting than a photo album full of snapshots. My husband and I make one each year of our daughter. It's so much better than the traditional Baby Books.

This year we have become quite the little farmers. In addition to our large gardens, we have been raising our own cow, pig, turkey and chicken with our neighbor, Loreen, who owns E-I-E-I-OM Farm on Vashon. (A great place to rent for a week in the country. Just a little plug for Loreen!)

Vegetarian Alert...Although my family and I are meet eaters, we believe in happy and healthy animals as well as a diet largely based on plants.

Early this year we had our first experience butchering chickens. My husband grew up on a farm and was very comfortable with this. I, on the other hand, was not so comfortable. I like my meat in the freezer wrapped in plastic. This was going to be a learning experience!
My husband built a chicken plucker, called The Whiz Bang.
and I thought it would be fun to document the event with some pictures and ultimately a book.

Another Vegetarian Alert...No animals were tortured, all were humanely treated. If you are squeamish, do not look at the following pictures. Although, I did not include any really gruesome images.